Saturday 6 March 2010

Bough Beech with Denis and a biting wind. 18 species only.

I was up before the birds today as I started work at 04.00am! What a shock to the system that was, the 4 hours soon went though and after a quick haircut I decided to give Denis a call and go to Bough Beech for an hour.
When I arrived at 10.20am the first thing I heard was a Green Woodpecker calling and then I spotted a small flock of Blue Tits dashing about.On the small lake side I spotted 10 Grey Herons in total (see Digiscoped photos).
 
Photos from top to bottom are Grey Herons (3 pics)and Great Crested Grebes (2 pics)

Carrion Crows were the next birds I spotted along with the pair of Great Crested Grebes (above) showing a courtship ritual, and a lot of Cormorants on one of the islands on the large side of the lake. Mallards and Tufted Ducks next up and a lone Magpie digging around for a morsel to eat. Great Tit could be heard calling, the next spot was to be Coots and Pochard and a Gadwall, and for me a rarity at Bough Beech was a Shovelor. A Pied Wagtail flew over along with a pair of Greylag Geese and to finish off was a Blackbird. I was glad to get back into the car as the wind was fierce and I was freezing cold.

2 comments:

  1. That was a cold wind today Phil! Must have been worse by the reservoir mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil ,
    That Causeway is a very cold place on a day like today .
    Did you see the report of 5 Bitterns coming in to roost at about 6pm. the other night at Sevenoaks WT.

    ReplyDelete